We have provided several methods for inserting and typing the Cent Symbol or the Cent Sign (¢). You can use these methods to type this symbol in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint anywhere on your PC.
You can use a Mac keyboard or a Windows keyboard. In addition to learning the cent Alt code shortcut, all the easy methods will be covered as well.
Let’s begin right away.
Guide for Typing the Cent Symbol (¢)
If you are using a Mac or PC, press Option + 4 to type the cent symbols.
Windows users should follow these steps. You can do this by holding the Alt key. Then using the numeric keypad on your keyboard, enter 0162.
Ctrl + /, C, however, is the MS Word code for this symbol. Choose it. To obtain the cent sign in word then simply press Alt + X after typing and selecting it.
Below you will find everything necessary to type the symbol on Windows and Mac. The cent Symbol shortcut is also included.
How to Type Cent Symbol
You can easily create the cent sign using Word/Excel on either Windows or Mac using the above information.
You may be dissatisfied with this quick help, however. Continue reading to learn how to obtain the cent symbol in detail.
The symbol can be typed anywhere in your Word/Excel/PowerPoint document on your Mac or PC.
A number of keys on the keyboard function both under Windows and under Mac OS.
Thus, symbols are immediately available on the keyboard as second keys. In order to insert these symbols into your work, just press two or more keys simultaneously.
For example, Shift + 7 will display the Ampersand (&).
On the other hand, other symbols do not appear on the keyboard as second keys. Typing is difficult due to this. Cent symbol (¢) is among them.
You will have difficulty typing if you have to use some of these symbols frequently in your work.
It need not be difficult, however. You should especially read this step-by-step guide now.
Insert the Cent in Word/Excel
I will explain all the different methods you can use to type or insert this symbol onto any Windows or Mac PC in the following sections.
The following methods will be presented in a couple of minutes. Whenever the need arises, you can use these methods to obtain any other symbols.
Pressing the Alt key and typing Ctrl + /, C, or 0162 alt codes on the numeric keypad is a quick guide. Option + 4 is also an option on Mac.
The following are the detailed descriptions of the methods without any further ado.
Cent Symbol Shortcuts for Windows and Mac
Option + 4 is the cent Symbol shortcut for Mac.
Several shortcuts are available in Windows, but some only work with Microsoft Word.
It’s possible to use the cent Sign with all Windows programs by using a Windows shortcut. The shortcut is Alt+0162, which is the alt code.
In Microsoft Word, you can use Ctrl + /, C, to insert the cent Symbol. Microsoft Word is the only application that works with this.
Following are the instructions for using this on Windows:
- Insert the insertion pointer where it belongs.
- Press 0162 on your keyboard. You should then press Alt + X.
- In this case, you will find the cent symbol at the pointer where you are inserted.
The following steps will show you how to use the cent symbol shortcut for Mac:
- The insertion pointer should be placed where the symbol is to be inserted.
- Let’s use the Mac keyboard. Hold Option and 4 at the same time.
Your Mac PC will automatically insert the symbol with this shortcut.
To type the cent symbol on a keyboard, I’ll show you how to use the Cent Symbol Alternate Code.
Using Cent Symbol Alt Code
0162 is the Alt Code for the Cent Symbol.
The code for a given symbol in Word can be used to insert a symbol into your document. “Alt code” refers to this code.
You can type this symbol on your keyboard using the Alt code described above by following the steps below:
- By pressing the numeric keypad key, you can access the numeric keypad. On laptops without a numeric keypad, press Fn + NumLk keys to activate Num Lock.
- Hold down the Alt key. Use the numeric keypad to enter 0162.
- If you have pressed down the [Alt] key, release it after entering the Alt code.
Within seconds of releasing the Alt Key, you should see the cent symbol in your document.
Copy and Paste the Cent Symbol
The cent symbol can be copied and pasted from the box below.
[su_note note_color=”#FFFFE0″ radius=”15″]
The copy-and-paste method is my favorite way to insert symbols. It’s easy to use this method.
You just need to type the symbol into Google. From the search result, copy the text. Whenever you need to do so, you can copy and paste the symbol into your document.
You can copy this symbol to your clipboard from the box above.
The symbol, or any other symbol on Windows, can also be copied another way. A character map of the Windows operating system is used.
Follow these steps to use the character map to copy and paste any symbol.
- Click on the Start button to find the Character map app.
- Search results will include the Character map app. Launch it by clicking on it.
- A Character Map window will appear. Expand the window for more advanced options by checking the Advance View checkbox.
- Enter Cent in the search box in the Advanced View section.
- Your selected symbol has now been added to the Character map. Select it by double-clicking.
- When you click the Characters to copy box, you will see the symbol appear. Multiple symbols can be selected and copied simultaneously.
- Copy the symbol after selecting it. Copy the text.
- Change to the MS Word, Excel, or PowerPoint document where the symbol is needed. Ctrl + V is used to paste.
In Windows, you can use the Character Map to copy and paste the cent sign in this way.
Using the Insert Symbol Dialog Box
As opposed to shortcuts, this method requires more work. However, it’s fairly straightforward.
If you copy and paste the symbol once into your document, you can always use it again in your work whenever you need it.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to insert a cent Sign in Word using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Select the Insert tab.
- Click the Symbol button under the Insert tab. Select More Symbols.
The Symbol dialog box will appear after these few clicks.
- Locate the Symbol you want to insert.
The cent symbol is easy to locate in the Symbols window by looking at the bottom part of the window. Select Latin-1 Supplement in the Subset: drop-down list. After selecting it, you will be able to select the cent symbol you wish to use.
- Press the Insert button.
If you double-click on the symbol, the symbol will be inserted into your document.
- Click the Close button.
Using the Insert Symbol dialog in Word, you can insert the cent symbols in this way.
AutoCorrect Feature for Cent Sign
Word’s AutoCorrect feature can also be used for obtaining the cent symbol.
This is a tool designed for resolving spelling errors such as these. The shortcode for the cent key can be assigned to this feature.
This will be the case whenever you type the text CNT, Word will interpret the text CNT as a cent symbol.
Normally the symbol would be inserted regardless of the code you type, but in this method, you can assign any code you like.
To type a cent symbol using AutoCorrect in Word, follow the steps below.
- Click Symbol and then More Symbols under the Insert tab…
- The symbol appears in the dialog box.
- The cent sign must be selected in the Symbols dialog box.
- Select the cent symbol by clicking on it.
- AutoCorrect will appear once you click on the AutoCorrect button.
Select AutoCorrect from the AutoDictionary dialog box and enter the following:
Whenever you type CNT in Word, a cent symbol will automatically be added to your document.
Below are a couple of things to keep in mind when inserting the cent sign with the AutoCorrect method.
The case is taken into account when using AutoCorrect. Word will ignore cnt (in lowercase) unless you enter CNT (in uppercase).
Word will not convert AutoCorrect text to the cent symbol if there is any text before or after it. So, XCNT won’t be converted, but X CNT will be transformed into X ¢.
These are some ways to type or insert the Cent symbol in Word/Excel. It doesn’t matter whether or not you use the keyboard.
My favorite method is using the copy and paste method followed by the shortcuts. The Alt Code method also comes simple.
Comment below if you have any questions or comments about this cent sign guide.
Thank you for reading.